They may be an adventurer, a rambler, a gambler, banished, always on the run, a wanted criminal, someone with a higher calling, or just someone who isn't allowed to be where they'd want the most, they'll always find their way back home - a home, as a matter of fact, they share with you, though. And they'll, again and again, find themselves wanting you, for support, for care, for healing, for feeling alive, for venting frustration and anger, for anything and everything at all.
You'll welcome them with open arms. Because home isn't a place - it's a person.
( How does this work again? )
1. Pokemon Go will not let me install the latest update (It gives an error message that says "we hates your phone, precious" [paraphrase] and then won't install.) So instead I have been playing Magikarp Jump, which the app store always tries to tell me pokego players will enjoy. So far:
( This is my fish. There are many like it, but this one is mine. )
2. Also I finally won the last boss level in Alphabear, so until I got my fish game, I was totally at loose ends for mindless phone games, and started looking for ports of the ones I played as a kid. HOW IS AN ANDROID PORT OF GODDAMP CATERPILLAR 11 megabytes? I coded that from scratch on my TI83 when I was a kid! In, like, about 100 lines of code! WHAT IS WRONG WITH US?
(I also coded a text adventure with a gender-ambiguous protagonist on that calculator, actually...)
3. I finished cleaning my bathroom yesterday! It only took me about two weeks! It is so nice to go in there and have it be clean! ( clean ALL the things )
4. So last November I kind of went into power-save mode for awhile, quit using Habitica and also quit a bunch of the things I had been doing on a regular basis (tag wrangling, practicing piano, working on Spanish and Icelandic, writing on a regular basis, using Tumblr...) But my sister got me back onto using Habitica again, and now that all the cat-related tasks are gone (and I trimmed some other stuff) it's a much more reasonable list of dailies.
I had forgotten how very motivating it is to get to tick the thingy. Now I am debating whether to use my Orb of Rebirth and start over or not (And whether to try to get together an active party with more than just me and my sister and a bunch of inactive accounts.)
And I'm trying to get back to doing some of the other things I stopped, too. I gave Tag Wrangling an un-hiatus notice, so I'm committed to trying to be less fail at that, and I pulled out a piano book for the first time in months (I found a copy of the very first one I learned out of, The Joy Of First-Year Piano, to warm me back up) Og ég er að læra íslensku aftur. Þótt jurtabókin er erfitt. Það er of mikið um illt kaffi í bókinni. Y yo hablé español a una clienta hoy! Un poco español, pero un poco es más que nada.
The only thing I gave up that I haven't missed at all is Tumblr. *shrug emoji* (even that's not true, I have a secret backup tumblr to which are added a couple people who post mostly personal stuff and also a bunch of nature and solarpunk and library special collections photos, and no politics or fandom, and it's still fine.)
5. One of the things on my habitica dailies is to post an AO3 comment once a day. Another one is to do something with politics once a week. I got my wires crossed in there somewhere and realized that if I don't feel up to actually engaging with politics I can just send one of my (excellent) congresspeople an email that literally just says, "Hi staffer who reads these, you are fighting the good fight, keep holding the line, thank you", just like when I want to leave an AO3 comment but don't know what to say, and it STILL COUNTS.
Also, people are trying to get public outcry going toward Congress passing the nonpartisan bill Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act of 2017. (S. 200 - Senate, HR 669 - House.) which would make it so the US President could not launch a nuclear first strike without a declaration of war. TBH I can't think of ANY reason why that should ever have been possible, but ESPECIALLY now. So write your congresspeople or spread the word to #PULL THE FOOTBALL
/me crosses off "do politics" for this week
ALL HALLOW'S EVE MEME
It's the month of Halloween, kiddies! You know what THAT means. Time for everything great about the best season of the year! It's goth Christmas, so let's celebrate it right!
( Pick your scenario within! )
sᴇᴀsᴏɴᴀʟ ɢʀᴇᴇᴛɪɴɢs ᴍᴇᴍᴇ
ᴀ ɢᴇɴ ᴍᴇᴍᴇ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀssɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇᴀsᴏɴs
ᴏʀɪɢɪɴᴀʟ ᴍᴇᴍᴇ ʙʏ snowbroth
i. post with your character, including series and any preferences.
ii. select prompt either with the power of your mind or the help of the lovely RNG. feel free to make your own!
iii. share the seasonal love!
( the prompts )
( Read More... )
If you saw the first season of Riverdale, you may recall its version of Dilton Doiley isn't the genial, well-liked genius of the comics, but a somewhat disturbed survivalist. This month's issue of the show's tie-in comic takes a closer look at him. Warning for child abuse.
( Read more... )
The end of the world is here. Are you ready or are you going to kick the bucket? Maybe you've been prepared for the apocalypse for ages or you're blissfully unaware. You can play it straight or for comedy (think Shaun of the Dead), but please be aware that there's likely to be triggering content within so consider content warnings!
Feel free to spread the Tumblr link too!
2. I felt very under the weather yesterday, and I'm not sure why? Maybe just a bad day. I can usually pick some kind of main cause or worsening factor, but I think yesterday was mostly just "you're chronically ill and you're going to have days like that sometimes". My planning format really came through, though - I did a couple of my most important things and let everything else go and went to bed early at least knowing that I did things to help myself long-term but that I was still listening to myself. Balance! It's a thing!
(Also working on forgiving myself when I don't do that, but that's what I'm in therapy for, in part.)
3. Wednesday Reading time!
( Books. )
Work continues to be ridiculously busy because in addition to my own job, they keep adding things to my to do list from jobs that aren't currently filled, so I'm doing three people's jobs. It's bullshit, and I would rant but I'm not locking the post so. Whatever. I don't get paid nearly enough for this.
Yesterday, I got an email from the realtor, who'd gotten an email from the management agent who was like, "There's no estimated monthly mortgage payment in this loan commitment letter" and I said to myself, says I, "I wondered about the exact same thing!" So the loan officer forwarded the loan estimate letter that I'd gotten back in September with the estimated monthly payment. They also wanted proof of my "bonus" since it wasn't listed in my salary verification letter so I had to send them the pay stub and the letter explaining it as a "one time extra wage payment" since that is what they call it in order to not have to tax it like a bonus, but it was a deposit that shows up on my bank statement and then in my taxable income and therefore needs an explanation. Luckily, after all that was forwarded, the agent said she was sending the application to the board for their review, so hopefully I get called for an interview soon.
In other news, I got a clean bill of health from the dentist, so I'm free from that for another six months. Of course, I totally ruined the minty fresh feel of my mouth by having cheesy garlic bread for dinner, but eh, sometimes a woman needs cheesy garlic bread, bad breath be damned.
Wednesday reading meme:
What I've just finished
The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan, which I enjoyed a lot, especially the ( spoilers )
What I'm reading now
The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman, the Practical Magic prequel focusing on the aunts. I love the aunts! I love seeing them as young women! I love everything to do with them and their relationship with their aunt who fills the role for them that they do for Sally and Gillian in PM.
I do not love their super special most handsomest and most powerfulest baby brother who ( spoilers )
What I'm reading next
Too many books to pick one out of the pack just yet!